Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My attempt at Making Beignets from Cafe Du Monde Mix

I can't remember where I purchased the Cafe Du Monde Beignet Mix, but I think I got it at my local Cost Plus World Market. You can order it on-line at the above link. One of these days I will try to make them from scratch, but decided that until I can get my heiny to Cafe Du Monde in Louisiana, then making their boxed Beignets will just have to do.
Ingredients:
Photobucket

An Electric Skillet is recommended to cook your Beignets. I layered about 1-2 inches of oil and turned up the heat to 370 degrees. It is recommended to use Cottonseed Oil, but I just used Canola.
Photobucket

Follow Instructions on the box.
2 Cups of mix and 7oz of water then mix up with a wooden spoon and in a mixing bowl. I got out my baking stone and lots of flour to roll out my dough. Beware that without flour, your mix will be a sticky mess. Use lots of flour. I rolled the dough out with a rolling pin.
Photobucket

Rolled, then used a roller pin to roll the dough out to 1 1/2 inches thick and cut up into sections.
Photobucket

I got out a plate and picked up each cut Beignet and shook off any excess flour. I placed them on the plate to get them easily into the oil.
Photobucket

Into the oil they went. I used a tong to flip each Beignet. Here is what they look like in the fryer.
Photobucket


I think total cook time was about 15 minutes. To be honest, I was so busy hoping that I didn't screw these up to notice the time. For that I am so sorry. Next time I will make sure that the oil is hot enough, but they still fluffed up pretty good. I used one of those wire cooling cookie sheets to powder sugar them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is all of them sugared.
Photobucket



Close up of the Beignets. I can't wait to have one with some coffee tomorrow morning! My kids really enjoyed these. :)
Photobucket

One of these days I will try a scratch recipe for Beignets.

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment