Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Home-made Gift Giving. Watermelon Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

I love to make home-made bath stuff for me and my family. I was inspired to do a variation of this recipe over on the blog, A Pumpkin to Myself. I saw this recipe and knew that I could make this into a Whipped Sugar Scrub. So here is what I did with the recipe and here is what you will need.

INGREDIENTS:
2 Packs 12 count Candy Canes. You can choose any flavor, but I chose to do Watermelon.
Matching Fragrance Oil or Essential Oil (optional) The Candy Canes are fragrant enough once pulverized.
1/3 Cup of Avocado Butter
1/2 Coconut Oil (I used Fractionated Coconut Oil)
1/2 Cup of Palm Oil
3-5 Teaspoons of Olive Oil (you can use any oil but Olive oil is best in my world)
2 Cups of Cornstarch (you can add more if you want to make it fluffier and less greasy).


What you will need
Double Boiler
An amazing blender
Medium sized mixing bowl
Kitchen Aid or Stand Mixer (recommended over hand mixer)
2, 4 or 8oz Jars to store your Sugar Scrub
Address Labels to label your jars.
Spatula

Unwrap all of your Watermelon Candy Canes and place them in your blender. I used all 24 of them and had some Candy Cane Sugar left over to make future batches.
Photobucket

Move the pulverized Candy Canes to a bowl and set aside until they need to be folded into the whipped oils.
Photobucket

Combine all oils above in a double boiler. Low to Heat on Medium heat. I used my Grandpa's old trusty double boiler.
Photobucket

Fill your sink up with Ice and Cold Water. Once all of your oils are melted, pour them into your bowl or Kitchen Aid bowl mixer and place in the sink of ice. Let the mixture set for about 10-15 minutes.
Photobucket

Once your mixture looks like it starts sitting up, add in the Corn Starch. I would slowly add in the corn starch throughout the whole cooling and hardening process. This is what it looked like with 1 cup of Corn Starch and mixed for about 20-25 minutes. If you have a stand mixture, you can just place it on Speed 2-4 and leave it to whip up and walk away to do laundry or other chores that need to be done. Oils will have a yellowish tint to them but will eventually look like white frosting. Here is what they look like while whipping up in the beginning.
Photobucket

After it has whipped for 20 minutes, place the mixture back in the sink of ice and let it sit for another 20 minutes. Take it out when it looks like this.
Photobucket

See, it is getting there. :)
Whip it for another 10-15 minutes with the other cup of Corn Starch. Keep whipping until it looks like the picture below. It will whiten up and look a lot like frosting. You are now ready for your Sugar Canes. Also, if you want your oils to feel less greasy, add in more Corn Starch to your recipe.
Photobucket

Take your bowl of Pulverized Candy, and slowly spoon them in, keeping your mixer on the lowest setting. I actually changed my Kitchen Aid attachment and used the dough hook so that it would fold the candy in. I also would stop the Kitchen Aid Mixer and using a Spatula I would gently fold in the candy. Once I was finished with it, I scooped all of the Scrub into 6, 4oz Jars. I will be making the labels tomorrow, and some more of this in Peppermint Candy Canes. Her is the Scrub in jars.
Photobucket

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Also, be aware that this is a slippery scrub for use in the shower, so remind anyone you make this for to be careful while using it in the shower! :) I will be back with a picture of the labels that I made.

Oh and an FYI, this stuff is amazing on the hands and elbows.

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I want to make this so bad! But I do not think my blender could handle the candy canes... any idea as to what I could substitute for the candy canes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question. Sugar is really the only thing I could think of in the Candy Department. I was thinking that some Sweet Tarts would be fun too. Do you have an old food processor? An old food processor would work great on grinding up the Candy Canes too. You can also double bag the Candy Canes, cover with a towel and bang the heck out of the sugar canes with a hammer or mallet until they look pretty much pulverized. I have been trying to think of other kinds of Candy that can be used with this. You know, you can also just use some Brown Sugar. It doesn't have to be Candy Canes. I did Candy Canes to make it fun and festive for my daughter's friends. I guess they really love the scrub. I set some aside for myself and I love it!

    ReplyDelete