Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Body Butter Bars, kind of like Lush.

I really love a challenge and I really love making Home-made bath items for my business, family or for my friends. This season I have made some Candy Cane Body Scrubs, Peppmerint Milk Baths and now some Body Butter Bars. My girlfriend recently gave me the rest of her Cocoa Butter and Beeswax from Brambleberry.Com. I decided to make some goodies from it. I also had some Carrier Oils on hand from my business. So here is how I made these body butter bars. Making and molding (solidifying time) took about an hour to make. This amount of oils and wax made 24, 2oz sized bars.

What you will need:
Double Boiler
Kitchen Scale if you have one.
Spatula or Bamboo Stir Sticks
Silicone Soap, Muffin or Candy Molds. Silicone works best because they are easy to pop the bars out of them.
12ozs of Cocoa Butter
6ozs of Calendula Infused Olive Oil (you can just use Olive or Apricot Kernel Oil)
6ozs of Palm Oil
12ozs of Beeswax
Essential Oil or Fragrance Oil. I chose BananaRoma fragrance Oil. It used to be a Lush scent that has since been discontinued. I ordered the Fragrance oil from Ponte Vedra Soap. I also get lots of my soap supplies from there.

Here is everything out on my Butcher Block.
Photobucket

I set the temperature on the stove top always to medium when melting. I combined all oils and stirred mixture on occasion.
Photobucket

Once everything is completely melted, I added in about 3-5 small capfuls of Fragrance Oil.
Photobucket

Once everything was melted, I transferred all the melted waxes and oils into a container with a spout. This made it easier for pouring. I did pour all of the mixture into the molds. Yep, I did make a little bit of a mess.
Photobucket

Here is what they look like all made up. They are very easy to pop out of the molds once hardened up. I let them sit for about 20 minutes before popping them out of molds.
Photobucket

Close up of the bars. Now you can wrap them in tissue paper and give them to friends and family as a little gift.
Photobucket

Here is a few links with variations on the recipe of Lotion Bars.
Smockity Frocks
Our Green Experiments
Soap Deli News
Little House in the Suburbs

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment