Friday, January 25, 2013

Cold Process Soaping Fun!

It has been a long time since I last posted an entry on this fun little bloggy blog that I have. I keep telling myself that it is time to get back to doing some fun crafty things and blog about it, but time seems to elude me! I have been really busy this past year with my kids, their school and just general life craziness. I also had some health issues last year and because of it, I almost closed my bath and body store down. After talking to my amazing customers about a possible closure, they all talked me into keeping my store open, and to be honest, I am glad that they did. Having my store and making bath and body products is really the best thing for me to focus on when not focusing on my kids. It is fun hobby that I find truly rewarding. After a rough year, I decided to really focus on growing my bath and body business this year and to get back to doing what I love, which is making products for my customers. This year I decided to attempt my hand at Cold Process Soap. It was by a happy accident that these amazing Peppermint Calendula Baby Baff Bars came to be. I was making up a batch of Whipped Diaper Butter to stock in my store and the batch didn't quite turn out so great. It just wasn't fluffy enough and considering that I have never botched up a batch of Whipped Diaper Butter in the past, I was pretty upset that all of those wonderful oils would go to waste. Plus, that was a lot of money that I lost when you really think about it. It takes me about 4 hours to batch up about 70 oz of whipped diaper butter and I felt like I lost all that time that I could not get back. I decided to make a good thing come out of the bad situation. I saved the botched batch of oils in an airtight container, I realized that I only needed a few more items like Safety goggles and gloves to do the Cold Process Soaping stag. Yay, the oils will not be going to waste afterall and I converted the recipe to a Cold Process Soap Recipe and out came these wonderful Peppermint Calendula Baby Baff Bars. I had ordered Lye a long time ago but I have been so busy with other parts of my business that I set the Lye aside until something told me to make some soap from scratch. Well, losing that much in precious oils was my inspiration to get out all of my supplies and try my hand at cold process soap. I plugged in the numbers (ounces) of my oils into the Lye Calculator on Bramble Berry's website, got out all of my soap making supplies, followed a Cold Process Video Tutorial and had a blast making soap the old fashioned way. The video I followed is this one. It is a wonderful and easy to follow video. Here is how my first batch turned out (see below). Since then I have made a few Castile Blocks to use in my soap bits batches and will be making lots more Cold Process Soap Bars over he next few weeks. I need to get some more loaf molds and soap cutters. All that I have is a crinkle cutter and I would love to have straight lines in my future soap bars. I am so happy with the bars, and I must say that these Peppermint Baby Baff Bars totally rock. Since making them, I have used the bars habitually to clean and my gosh do they lather nicely and make my skin feel so soft. I absolutely love making Cold Process soap! I can't wait to make my next batch of Baby Baff Bars. It is so much fun making soap from scratch. Plus, I have got to say how awesome these bars are on my skin! I think I mentioned that already though.  photo peppermintbabybaffbarsCP1_zps81ec3aa0.jpg Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment